Word Of The Week – Questions

This week our word of the week has to be

Questions

Ethan’s speech over the summer holidays has come on amazingly. We think he has moved on to the echolalia stage in his development as he is repeating things. He has started to repeat the Peppa Pig theme tune, including the times they laugh. When we visited Hastings he also repeated everything his Nana said.

This week there has been a change, Ethan went quiet again but when we went out for walks he would gesture towards things and grunt. With his grunting he wanted to know what he was gesturing towards and I have had to name every shop and sign that we pass.

To say the grunting makes me frustrated is an understatement so I asked him to say ‘What is it?’ and he did.

This has continued and Ethan has been asking me ‘What is it?’ nearly every few minutes of the day. This is also followed with an iPad being thrust in my face and at one point my tea was knocked all over me.

So it has been a week full of questions, answers and lots of repeating. It has at times been draining as I’m the one that needs to answer all of the questions, but the positive thing is that Ethan wants joint interaction and wants to know what things are. You never know he might also be learning to read with all those signs he is pointing out!

The Reading Residence

1. Sara
    11th September 2015 / 8:27 am

That’s great, it sounds like he’s well & truly on his way to being verbal. Do you have the ‘More than words book’? We did the course & it helped us massively. I’m happy to send you mine if you are interested!x

2. 11th September 2015 / 10:29 am

That’s great that Ethan is asking questions although I can imagine that it is quite draining too! So glad that his speech has improved so much over the holidays 🙂

3. 11th September 2015 / 10:35 am

It can be exhausting answering all those questions can’t it? I used to cheer when Dad came home so he could field some of them!

4. 11th September 2015 / 12:10 pm

Oh bless him, that must be simultaneously lovely and hard work for you though xx

5. 11th September 2015 / 12:50 pm

Sounds very draining, though as you say, also very positive. Good that he’s moved onto a new stage x Thanks for sharing with #WotW

6. 11th September 2015 / 1:13 pm

Aww! Bless him. That is fantastic but I understand how it can be so draining!

7. 11th September 2015 / 5:07 pm

Your blog post reminds me of a song by Nick Cope “Why is the sky blue? Why do I love you?” #WotW

8. 11th September 2015 / 8:34 pm

Sounds a tiring but pleasing week – hope it continues 🙂 #wotw

9. 11th September 2015 / 9:09 pm

Exciting times for you as it seems as Ethan is moving on leaps and bounds, but I can also imagine it is quite exhausting and frustrating too, answering the same question over and over and over…
    But still, it’s all positive and like you say, reading may be the next step!
    Have a lovely weekend
    #WoTW

10. Karen
    12th September 2015 / 4:03 pm

Hehehehe! He will be taking in everything you tell him and storing it up so he can surprise you at a later date 🙂 Then he’ll be telling you what things are!

Author
      25th September 2015 / 8:14 pm

I really hope that is the case. I was told five might be the age we start to get speech and thankfully that is proving to be (keeping everything crossed) x

11. Sarah Christie
    13th September 2015 / 7:11 pm

Aw I know this will be so hard for you but so wonderful that Ethan is interacting this is so positive and bless him I know the video is quick but he is so so cute xx

12. 20th September 2015 / 6:16 pm

Oh god, the ‘What’s that?’ grunt? I know it well. I’m not always paying attention, so don’t always know what it is she wants me to say. It’s usually anything from a dog to a giraffe to a swimming pool to a cup of coffee. Oh, and cake’s a common one too. Can’t think why. Great that he’s saying ‘What is it?’: we’re not quite there yet. #SSAmazingAchievements

Author
      25th September 2015 / 8:16 pm

I get pulled along with the grunt and it was driving me slightly mad. I can’t believe he took to ‘What is it?’ so well. A little too well if truth be told lol

13. 21st September 2015 / 2:16 pm

Love it! I could totally get what he was saying. I do remember the endless questions stage, it seemed… endless 😉 but it will pass! As you say, it’s great that he wants that interaction xx

Author
      25th September 2015 / 8:17 pm

It is very intense and he wants the answer right away no matter what I’m doing or where we are. But he is engaging with us and that is a very positive step forward x

14. 22nd September 2015 / 8:34 pm

Ooh ouchie for you, but like you say it’s the start of joint interaction and that can only be a bonus.
    We never had the questioning phase at all with T and D (although the children I childminded went through it) so it was missed. I do enjoy it when we have a chat which is more than a few sentences.
    #SSAmazingAchievements

Author
      25th September 2015 / 8:19 pm

I am really learning that there are so many levels to speech. I would pray for words and now we have words I’m longing for conversations. Hopefully in time this will happen x